+1

What are the 4 or 5 pressing issues in Codec? Is anyone paying attention to Latka lately? All we seem to have for collaboration is the dev mailing list, we all get a weekly report of the open bugs from Bugzilla, but does anyone ever bother to read that monstrosity? I think that moving the JIRA would help at least provide some direction to something like Codec, provide an way for people to communicate about direction. Is there going to be a 2.0 release or a 1.2 release? Can people talk about whether it makes sense for something like multipart to be in a 2.0 release? Maybe if people were given an accessible enumeration of things that are left to be done, we'd expand participation.

What is the plan for Betwixt? When is the release for Configuration? What happened to HiveMind? Has anyone bothered to look at Latka lately, is development dead? Commons frequently fails because other people assume that something is being taken care of. I'd like Codec JIRA to be a place where *any* Jakarta Commons committer can go to, identify one of 100 small tasks that need to be completed before the next release and implement that task in the codebase immediately. If Jakarta Commons is to work, every committer needs to feel like he or she can pick up a project where it has left off and go - maybe this conflicts with another view of Codec, but I don't think an open source project exists if it can't continue apart from original contributors.

If you would like to experiment with Scarab, I'd suggest that you use the installation on Nagoya. This is well trodden ground, and I've seen Scarab languish for years. It was a good (great) idea, but the interface never caught on - partly, I think, because it is unusable (and, partly, because the driving force behind this product is now focusing on running a nightclub in San Francisco). In all seriousness, Jon Stevens had a good idea, but I see a project named Scarab at Tigris' that has lost momentum.

If you'd like to vote -1 on this product because someday, someone will lament the lack of an OS issue tracker. I only ask you to focus on the fact that there are a very few active committers who spend large amounts of time regularly doing things like release management, site publishing, and infrastructure. And, people like this have expressed an interest to move to Jira. It would great if, one day, we could move to a issue tracker covered under an Apache Style License, but that day is not today. Yes, OS projects should try to encourage other OS projects. That is an interesting idea, but I don't see people flocking to the Scarab project. I'd welcome the day that we could see a viable alternative to Jira, but I just don't see it right now. Alternatively, I see an issue tracker that does not allow us to clearly express version numbers and sub-components for projects in the Jakarta Commons.