Thank you a lot for all your replies and hints! I will post this to the db-commons mailing list.

Regards
Oli

Oliver Heger wrote:

Hi all,

I am working on a SQL generator library and would like to donate it to an open source community. I think it would fit into Jakarta Commons. Here is some information about it:

The library was part of a view framework for web applications. It can generate SELECT statements to retrieve data. The single parts of a SELECT query are represented as objects that can be plugged together (e.g. fields to be retrieved, conditions). Finally a renderer processes this object tree and generates SQL code. This is the list of the goals that are to be achieved:

- Hiding the complex syntax of SQL queries by providing a high level API to construct them.

- Improving performance over naive programming by consequent usage of prepared statements with placeholders where possible.

- Providing mapping facilities between logic names of (bean) properties and database column names.

- Providing (a certain level of) database independency by supporting different renderers that can be customized to specific SQL dialects.

- Persistence of database queries in different storages (e.g. XML files, in a database, ...)

- Supporting dynamic query generation, e.g. if columns from different database tables are involved, the correct join conditions can be generated automatically

- Easy extensibility: just implement your own query part classes

Please let me know if there is some interest in this code. If not, what other options do I have to make it open source?

Thanks!
Oliver