--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Here's a little snippet on linear regression:

http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/toolbox/stats/linear20.shtml#49537

Nice reference.  Unfortunately, it points out the fact that I think either
you, J or Al mentioned some time ago that solving the normal equations
directly gives bad numerics.  That means that it is probably *not* a good
idea to use RealMatrix directly, but maybe to first implement QR decomp. In
any case, we need to look into the numerics, select a good algorithm and
probably make it pluggable.

> The first equation is the common form (in matrix terms) of a linear
> model.  It also defines residuals and other important points regarding
> multiple regression.
>
> The nice thing about linear models, is not only are they used for
> regression analysis, but they are the basis for ANOVA as well.  So, I
> for one, would like to see a pure matrix based implementation for
> linear regression as it more likely reuseable for ANOVA.
>
> Also, we can add a facade to the matrix implementation for those whole
> just want to deal with double[] and double[][] structures.  Much like
> we've done with the summary stats.
+1

> Take note of the hat matrix.  Some more advanced analysis like
> measuring the effect of an observation can be easily accomplished
> using the hat matrix.  So, it might be worth while to incorporate
> caching of the hat matrix in any implementation.
+1

Phil