I emailed a few weeks ago about getting involved with Commons Math. One suggestion was to look at some of the tests. I have never used JUnit, and it's a bit hard to run tests that I don't understand when I am testing something else that I do not understand.

Anyway, I looked up some JUnit documentation and wrote a class that runs the tests in org.apache.commons.math.special.BetaTest. I just wanted some confirmation that I am able to run some of these tests properly. I included the output and the code below.

Am I correct in assuming that when the output is "Time: 0.001 OK (17 tests) Test failures: 0" that all the tests ran correctly? The pages I found used the JUnit GUI for output. They really don't talk much about the text output at junit.org.

EKMacAdie

----------------------------------------------- In method RunBetaTests.runAllMethodsInSuite() Test failures: 0 Using another instance of TestRunner ................. Time: 0.001

OK (17 tests)

Test failures: 0
End method runAllMethodsInSuite
In method runAnotherTypeOfTest
Time: 0.004

OK (17 tests)

Number of failures: 0
End method runAnotherTypeOfTest
In method runBetaTest001
.
Time: 0.002

OK (1 test)

Test failures: 0
In method runBetaTest002
Time: 0

OK (17 tests)

End method runBetaTest002

public void runAllMethodsInSuite() {
System.out.println( "-----------------------------------------------" );
System.out.println( "In method RunBetaTests.runAllMethodsInSuite()" );
TestSuite suite= new TestSuite();
suite.addTest( new BetaTest( "testRegularizedBetaNanPositivePositive" ) );
suite.addTest( new BetaTest( "testRegularizedBetaPositiveNanPositive" ) );
suite.addTest( new BetaTest( "testRegularizedBetaPositivePositiveNan" ) );
suite.addTest( new BetaTest( "testRegularizedBetaNegativePositivePositive" ) );
suite.addTest( new BetaTest( "testRegularizedBetaPositiveNegativePositive" ) );
suite.addTest( new BetaTest( "testRegularizedBetaPositivePositiveNegative" ) );
suite.addTest( new BetaTest( "testRegularizedBetaZeroPositivePositive" ) );
suite.addTest( new BetaTest( "testRegularizedBetaPositiveZeroPositive" ) );
suite.addTest( new BetaTest( "testRegularizedBetaPositivePositiveZero" ) );
suite.addTest( new BetaTest( "testRegularizedBetaPositivePositivePositive" ) );
suite.addTest( new BetaTest( "testLogBetaNanPositive" ) );
suite.addTest( new BetaTest( "testLogBetaPositiveNan" ) );
suite.addTest( new BetaTest( "testLogBetaNegativePositive" ) );
suite.addTest( new BetaTest( "testLogBetaPositiveNegative" ) );
suite.addTest( new BetaTest( "testLogBetaZeroPositive" ) );
suite.addTest( new BetaTest( "testLogBetaPositiveZero" ) );
suite.addTest( new BetaTest( "testLogBetaPositivePositive" ) ); TestResult result = new TestResult();
suite.run( result );
System.out.println( "Test failures: " + result.failureCount() );
System.out.println( "Using another instance of TestRunner" );
junit.textui.TestRunner runner = new junit.textui.TestRunner();
TestResult result002 = runner.doRun( suite, false );
System.out.println( "Test failures: " + result002.failureCount() );
System.out.println( "End method runAllMethodsInSuite" );
} // end method runAllMethodsInSuite
public void runAnotherTypeOfTest() {
System.out.println( "-----------------------------------------------" );
System.out.println( "In method runAnotherTypeOfTest" );
TestSuite suite= new TestSuite( BetaTest.class );
// TestResult result001 = new TestResult();
// suite.run( result001 );
junit.textui.TestRunner runner002 = new junit.textui.TestRunner();
TestResult result001 = runner002.doRun( suite, false );
System.out.println( "Number of failures: " + result001.failureCount() );
System.out.println( "End method runAnotherTypeOfTest" );
} // end method runAnotherTypeOfTest
public void runBetaTest001() {
System.out.println( "-----------------------------------------------" );
System.out.println( "In method runBetaTest001" );
BetaTest bTest = new BetaTest( "testLogBetaPositiveNegative" );
junit.framework.TestResult bTestResult = junit.textui.TestRunner.run( bTest );
System.out.println( "Test failures: " + bTestResult.failureCount() );
} // end method runBetaTest001
public void runBetaTest002() {
System.out.println( "In method runBetaTest002" );
// BetaTest bTest = new BetaTest( "BetaTest002" );
// this works - I think - but I don't know what it does
junit.textui.TestRunner.run( BetaTest.class );
System.out.println( "End method runBetaTest002" );
} // end method runBetaTest002