Simon,

>   if (stack.isEmpty()) {
>     return null;
>   } else {
>     // right here some other thread could empty the stack, causing
>     // the following pop to throw an exception despite our
>     // check above
>     return stack.pop();
>   }

Yep gotcha now and I'm glad to hear that the pop and peek methods will
throw the EmptyStackException.  I did think it was weird that they did
not however I figured there was something I was missing.  I was trying to
think about whether or not I should adopt the same behavior in the
Digester pattern implementation (not for XML) I'm currently working on.

Alex