Stephen Colebourne wrote:
The problem we face is that we must deliver a project's project.xml with the
release because it contains the list of committers, contributers, and also
the dependencies. If someone downloads a commons project and sees that
project xml, then they might well expect to be able to use maven.

This is not about releasing using maven. Its about users using maven.

The simplest solution is to add a comment to the top of the project.xml that
says - "Maven not supported, please build using ant". Not nice, but better
than nothing.

What about including the commons-build directory with source releases? Maybe somebody has already suggested this... I forget.

I just think that saying "Maven not supported" sounds a little harsh, when it's very easy to get the builds going. All they need is another directory.