On 10 May 2004, at 21:26, Stephen Colebourne wrote:

This looks like a very neat solution to the problem to me. The Class.forName
worries me a little though, as I believe that its not too happy in class
loaders.

it should probably try the context classloader first.

note: it is *very* important to remember that beanutils is used indirectly by a *very* large user base. (think about the user base for strut and tomcat at the very least.) i'd be *very* likely to veto any changes that risk breaking a release without adequate time for testing. (it took a lot of work to make commons-logging work anywhere near reasonably in complex container environments.)

i would definitely prefer a service release which would allow downstream developers to resolve any possible issues with collections 3.0 before moving on to looking at commons-logging. so, i'd strong suggest that any ideas for altering the way that logging works are committed into a branch.

- robert