About 4 weeks ago there was discussion w/ adding a derivative method to an
extension of the o.a.c.m.analysis.UnivariateRealFunction interface.

   I apologize for the time delay but I had previously contributed some
code that made it to the expiremental branch in the project for
FunctionOperators.    see:
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-commons/math/src/experimental/org/apache/commons/math/analysis/

  anyway at the time I just wanted to re-focus the group on this concept
as it relates to Derivates.  There is a DerivativeOperatorFactory which
creates a function D, such that D(f) = f' numerically.  The reason I did
this was to build a framework to add do numerical initial-value problems.
A lot of these methods use as a base Taylor series approximations, and
hence there is a need for higher order derivative evaluations.

  long and short,  I thought that the DerivativeOperator approach would be
a nice start to this without having to program a Function and it's
derivative(s).

   Any thoughts?

--
      Matt Cliff
      Cliff Consulting

      The label said install Windows 98 or better so I installed Linux.