Date: 2004-05-20T13:16:06
   Editor: RobertBurrellDonkin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
   Wiki: Jakarta Commons Wiki
   Page: ValidatorNoClassDefFound

   Moved content from original wiki

New Page:

Up to ValidatorFaq
----

4. November 2002

I am getting a really strange behaviour when using the struts validator.
Infact I am beginning to wonder whether itīs just me going nuts!  Itīs
an error that makes no sense to me at all!

Hereīs the scenario:

 1. Start tomcat
 1. open browser
 1. go to form in html page
 1. send

Now the strange thing is that every second time (after closing the 2 of
course) I carry out the steps described above I get a
{{{
 java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org.apache.struts.validator.ValidatorForm
}}}

error!  Why not every time or even never?!  It just doesnīt make sense
t o me that this error comes in exactly the interval as described above.
Has anybody else experienced a similar problem which might be worth
sharing?

I know it sounds silly but that is exactly what is happening!

== Answer ==

It seems that this is a session issue and the solution was to
change the context in the tomcat server.xml:

I.e. I added:
{{{
<Manager className="org.apache.catalina.session.PersistentManager"
   debug="4"
   saveOnRestart="false"  <-------
   maxActiveSessions="-1"
   minIdleSwap="-1"
   maxIdleSwap="-1"
   maxIdleBackup="-1">
   <Store className="org.apache.catalina.session.FileStore"/>
</Manager>
}}}
to my Context.

Michael Delamere