What are people's feelings about supporting indexed properties with Array
value types?

What I'd like to do is allow

public String[] getIndexedArrayProperty(int index)
public void setIndexedArrayProperty(int index,String newvalue[])

Currently, this will fail with an IllegalArgumentException in
PropertyUtilsBean, because setProperty will decide to store the first
element of the newvalue array rather than the whole array. And in
BeanUtils there is a getIndexedProperty and a getArrayProperty but no
getIndexedArrayProperty. Is this for a particular reason? Or would it be
appropriate to add the capability?

To give a bit more background, this is actually something I've been doing
already with an "earlier" version of BeanUtils, and now I want to upgrade
to the current commons version without (immediately) giving it up.

I found myself needing to do this to store various Struts "multibox"
results (String[]) in an indexed property. This technique came from an
application written against Struts 1.0, using the old
struts.util.BeanUtils class. And this actually worked fine there - minus a
typo-bug in the code (in populate). I have a 1-line patch that fixes it,
and that's what I've been using.

Now it's time to go to Struts 1.1, and a similar "fix" to commons
BeanUtils might be useful for others, so I thought, lets see what everyone
thinks? Esoteric, I know, but is there anything actually wrong with
supporting indexed properties with an Array value type?

Regards,
David