Jörg Schaible wrote:

Taking Paul's comment into account, there seems not to be a real sufficient solution.
DOCConfiguration is quite nice for JDK >= 1.4, since no additional dependency is generated.
Therefore I vote in first place for the DOMConfiguration, but it might be good to have
DOM4JConfiguration in e.g. commons-configuration-optional around and the possibility to tell the
"core" to use this implementation.

Comments?

DOMConfiguration is even nice for JDK 1.3 since most server environnements under this version provide the standard XML APIs. I don't think [configuration] is performance critical enough to justify the use of an additional dependency, and there are other possible optimizations if a better implementation is really needed (for example the properties could be stored only once in the BaseConfiguration and the DOM parser could be dropped for a SAX parser).

I tend to prefer a complete removal of the DOM4J classes to cut down the maintenance burden.

Emmanuel Bourg