Steve Cohen wrote:

The advantage of 2 is that you still get a Date object after all your pains, more easily that you do from rolling your own off a regex. And it's easier to use SimpleDateFormat format strings than regular expressions. Finally, there is more calendar logic in SimpleDateFormat than in our reqular expressions. Please note that using our regexes Feb 30 is a legitimate date in our regex system.

Maybe you are right, but at least I think it should be possible to implement a "CompositeDateFormat".
This could be a composite of n languages and it tries every (configured - by default eg. US, FR, DE) language (and maybe by using SimpleDateFormat) until a match is found.
Same thing we did for the NTFTPFileEntryParser to automatically distinguish between NT and UNIX format.

Maybe you might not want an implementation of CompositeDateFormat in the main version of net, but it would be nice if this could be possible.

---
Mario