Go ahead and before doing any coding, send me a single patch with all the
formatting chanes.  No code changes!  Then in the comments for the commit I
can specify "Code formatting cleanup, no changes".

Just to confirm, your checkstyle plugin is using the standard jakarta
formatting?  Which, since I can't find anything to the contrary, is the Sun
format.  I think since email came from the Turbine project, it was formatted
with the turbine format.

Here are some links on the correct format to use:
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/patches.html
http://jakarta.apache.org/site/library.html

Thanks!  We'll get there!  It's nice to see new life in [email].

Eric