It may be useful for testing also.

B. K. Oxley (binkley) wrote:
I'm thinking of implementing a "memory filesystem" with VFS as a demonstration. The demo filesystems for local files and URLs are fine and good, but they are not very pedagogic for implementing virtual features. For example, they do not do much with attributes. A filesystem implementation which stored everything in memory would permit demonstration of the full range of features for VFS.

I suppose there might be practical use as well as a scratch filesystem which does not use the disk (unlike tempfs). One might also provide layering ala BSD's union filesystem so that one could rollback changes just by removing the most recent layer (I believe this is how ClearCase works, IIRC).

And it would be fun.  :-)

Cheers, --binkley

-- ===================================================================== Jeffrey D. Brekke [EMAIL PROTECTED] Wisconsin, USA [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]