The sandbox is available to any apache committer - but only to apache
committers.

So if an existing apache project is factoring out some code into a
module that other projects can take advantage of then the sandbox is a
good place for that; the existing committers on that project can all
work in the sandbox then promote the result to commons proper when it's
stable. In fact, this scenario is one of the main reasons commons and
the sandbox were created AFAIK.

When working on an experimental refactoring/rewrite of an existing
commons project, the sandbox might be appropriate too - though now we
are using subversion with branch management than CVS a branch of the
base project might be a better choice.

When starting a project where 3 or more apache committers are already
interested in being involved, the sandbox may also be a reasonable place
to do it.

But if a project is being started where the initial development
community contains non-apache members, or a project which hopes to draw
contributors from outside Apache, then I think the sandbox is an awkward
place to work as those new contributors can't be granted commit access.
Somewhere external is probably a better choice. If the project is
successful it could then be brought back to apache if the development
team want that later. Of course in the latter case things are much
easier if the APL is used for the code.

Regards,

Simon