James Carman wrote:
Thank you for your feedback (finally somebody said *something*).  I made
this a vote based on the instructions found at
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/MovingFromSandboxToProperSVN.  Maybe
we should update that WIKI to suggest making a proposal first and then
starting a vote if there are no objections.  I really just wanted to know if
there were any technical objections to having proxy move into the commons
proper so that I could fix the problems.  I would really like to see this
become a full-fledged commons component.  I think it's a very useful idea
and a pretty intuitive API.

I took a look this morning, and also thought it could be quite useful, and I could follow reasonably well what was going on.

Technically, I remember a couple of oddities, although there may be more:
- the Logging interceptor used Javassist, an odd dependency
- the core ProxyFactory interface could limit you in the future, as you can't change released interfaces

The more fundamental question however, is whether this is a true commons component. The sheer number of dependencies is a real question. Now while a lot are probably optional, some will not be.

This component looks rather like a framework to me, although a very low level framework. Commons does have other components that have interfaces and plugin points, but doesn't this one go further than we've had before? Will most users have to write their own code implementing an interface defining in [proxy], or can they just used the existing implementations?

Stephen

As for your suggestion to cut a release candidate now, I like it.  I do
think that I need some simple tutorials/examples on the site before it's
ready for a real release, so I'll try to take care of that sometime soon.
Then, I'll cut a release candidate, per your suggestion.  I will try to
follow the directions found at
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/releases/prepare.html to prepare the
release candidate, but I'm probably bound to make mistakes as I'm new to
this project management stuff.  I'll probably have a few questions along the
way too!
Also, I would still like to hear if anyone else has any suggestions for
things that I need to take care of before they would consider it ready for
release.  Resolving the 1.5 dependency helped of course, even if it did make
the API a lot uglier IMHO.  I liked the var-args feature for specifying the
interfaces/classes that the proxy should support and I would rather use the
core JDK Executor class rather than the one from the "concurrent" API.  Oh
well.

James