---- Craig McClanahan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 12/19/06, Dennis Lundberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > I've looked through the list of unscheduled issues [1] and can't find
> > anything that need to go into a 1.1.1 release.

I'm not aware of any fetaures or bugfixes waiting.

> How are we going to create the release?
> > 1. Ant
> > 2. Maven 1
> > 3. Maven 2
> >
> > Or some combination of them? My guess is to use Ant for the
> > source/binaries distros and Maven 1 for the site.

My preference would be to build using maven2, with -source and -target set to
1.2 and 1.1 respectively (using a JVM >= 1.4 of course, as that's what maven
needs). To check 1.2 compatibility, we could then run just the integration
tests as a separate step using java 1.2.

However this would require that:
(a) "mvn site" works. Currently this generates odd errors I don't understand
(b) there is an obvious way of setting -source and -target values, so they
default to 1.2/1.1 but users can override. I'm sure there is, but I don't know
what it is.
(c) the itest target supports running tests using an external JVM

Using a single build tool to produce a release is much easier than using ant to
build the code and maven1 to build the site, then stitching the results
together.

> My understanding is that "Maven 1 for the site" is required to get the
> current Commons L&F.  I don't have an opinion on which is the best to
> actually make the binaries of the release.

As noted above, it would be great if we could get the site building using
maven2.

> Is there anything else that needs to be done, besides the normal release
> > cycle?
>

> I think we're set.

I'd like to see a reasonable time for users to assess a release candidate.
Getting the nightlies working would be a good first step; currently nightlies
for logging uses maven1.x, which means that ONLY the site is actually being
built nightly..

Cheers,  Simon