On 4/4/07, Henri Yandell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 4/4/07, Henri Yandell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 4/4/07, Niall Pemberton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Can anyone say what the usual practice is for assigning groups/roles
> > for people once they become a committer?
> >
> > Theres a "Jakarta Developer" group - it gets you "committer" role for
> > Commons Lang and JCI but strangely nothing else.
> >
> > Would be simpler if it was documented somewhere.
>
> Yeah, it's a bit of a mess.
>
> The new JIRA release added the concept of project roles - which is
> great for many Apache projects. However we want to be able to grant
> project roles to N JIRA projects at the same time and it doesn't help
> with that.
>
> So we need to stay on the old system of assigning a group to the
> project, rather than messing around with roles too much (though the
> roles stuff does allow for permission to be granted in the short term
> while a request for being added to the group is made).
>
> Jeff did a bulk reconfiguration of JIRA and it was only afterwards
> that I understood sufficiently that it won't help us much. So now we
> need to go ahead and add the jakarta-developers group to each project
> role administrator bit.

*pondering*

Might be eaier to setup a Jakarta Permission that sets the group as
having read/write by default, instead of using the Standard Permission
and doing lots of configuring. That should be doable I think.

I bow to your greater (and my lack of) Jira knowledge - but seeing
that "Jakarta Devs" causes someone to automatically get "JCI and LANG
commiter role" - shouldn't we just have two groups that do the same
for all Commons. I was thinking something like

"Commons Committer" group --> commiter role on all components
"Jakarta PMC" --> pmc role on all jakarta sub-projects

Niall

Hen