Eric Jablow wrote:
Brian Goetz, in an article last year for IBM DeveloperWorks,
suggested writing a set wrapper that would allow initialization
code like:

    private final static Set COMMANDS =
        new UnmodifiableSetBuilder(new HashSet())
            .append("Save")
            .append("Revert")
            .append("Close")
            .unmodifiableSet();

instead of the wordier but normal

    private final static Set COMMANDS; // Blank final
    static {
        Set tempCommands = new HashSet();
        tempCommands.add("Save");
        tempCommands.add("Revert");
        tempCommands.add("Close");
        COMMANDS = Collections.unmodifiableSet(tempCommands);
    }

This is an interesting idea. I would have thought that a single SetBuilder that could produce a modifiable as well as an unmodifiable set would make more sense.

My concern is whether this is too specific for commons-collections, or whether it is in fact exactly the kind of feature that we should provide. Opinions?

Stephen