For starters, it's December 7th,  Pearl Harbor day, lest we forget. Had an
senior gent who liked to sit iof the grape arbor in our garden who had been a
young sailor at Pearl, then.  He passed away  a few years ago.  Thinking of
him and the day...

Jennifer Phillips, one of the smartest people we ever had on the  Clinton
Community Garden's steering committee, did weather research near Columbia
University for NASA.  She's now moved out of town and teaching up at Bard.
Bought a house with a garden, I heard.   When she said, in a heated moment,
"Hey guys, this isn't rocket science!" we knew that she knew from whence she
spoke.  Sometimes she went to Africa and did weather reasearch - I have a
feeling that this may have been some of her work, originally.  Women in
science, a very good thing.

Re my rabbi - Not Zucchini, but honey from the garden and some apples from
the green market ( our apple tree either produces or it doesn't  - mostly
sour apples) for the Jewish New Year.  And I'm OK with my rabbis and they
with me ( today it was one of our female rabbi's - a change during my
lifetime.)   But like with all denominations, you're supposed to be there for
the regular services as well as for the big holidays.  While a community
garden isn't a yacht with a fancy girlfriend,  gotta stay alert to  idolotry
daily life.

Secularly: The idea is living with a degree of balance and understanding that
none of this is going to be around here forever.  We're stewards of this, and
for a very short time.  We have such a small window to do the right thing.

Like Mr. Rogers, out of my jacket and tie and into my play clothes.  Saturday
afternoon and the Met Opera was on - Beethoven's strange and wonderful
"Fidelio".    Now, what am I going to cook for this week? Oh yeah, my wife
put some dried peas and some  assorted dried beans up to soak last night.
It's pea soup,  vegetable chili and a mushroom pasta sauce for  this week
along with some of the stuff I put up last week. One of the farmers from
upstate has a hot house - a winter cash crop for him. These went in my basket
along with another acorn squash and a half gallon of  cider for mulling
tonight.

Oh my, the compost can is filled ... makes for a winter's walk to the garden
before the light's gone.  After bugging a local baker to use organic wheat in
a semolina bread, she finally relented. It's selling well.  Better buy a
couple to keep her baking it.

Steaming soup, steaming compost...all part of the same thing.

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman

.

er.