Friends,

Put simply, and in a way that will make most good real estate attorneys
cringe at my oversimplification ( sorry folks, my forte is securities law)
- all land in the United States of America ultimatelybelongs to the state,
in the same way that all land in England belongs to the King. You may have a
freehold in that land, you can have a life estate in that land, it may have
been in your family since Queen Anne, but if the state wants it, the state
can have it.

I sit on a Land Use Committee of my local community board in Manhattan and
the game I play there is zoning. The only way that community gardens have
any land upon which to garden is if it is leased from other entities,
governmental of private, or if it is on land purchased for the purpose by a
private land trust. Ultimately, however, if the King, or government needs
your land for a "compelling" reason, it has that right by "eminent domain".

In the end, the ownership and use of land is political, just like community
gardening, just like any persuit where human beings are involved.
Some sites to make your head feel like it's exploding:

Here's the Cornell University Page on Real Property:

http://www.law.cornell.edu/topics/real_property.html

WestLaw Eminent Domain Site: http://www.wld.com/conbus/weal/wemindom.htm

Cheers,
Adam Honigman