Boy, you know how to ask the hard questions.
Your  question leads to several interpretations that would generate very
different approaches.  In particular, it could be
-                      You want to have a garden that lots of people would
use but that would operate at the whim of your organization
-                      You would like to develop a garden that others would
see as belonging to them but that you might assist from time to time.
-                      Somewhere inbetween

In the first case, you want to recruit a lot of people and provide a good
experience for them (I call that the “public utility” model).
In the second case, you want to find people who will engage in the
development and the management of the garden right from the start.  Your
organization would end up with minimal control.  You will have to decide
where you want to end up.

To get the whole lowdown on this thinking, get ACGA’s publications, Growing
Communities and Cultivating Communities.  You can order them throught the
ACGA website – go to Publications. ( www.communitygarden.org
<http://www.communitygarden.org/> )

Good luck.

Jack Hale