Friends,

[Sorry, this is a rather long message, but its a hell of a story]

On his way to the Clinton Community Garden, last September, Jon Rowley and
his lovely wife came upon the Oasis 1 garden in Hell's Kitchen. When he got
to the CCG, I explained that the pending bulldozing of the garden was not
going to be a bad thing -- being the gentleman that he is, he probably
thought I had misspoken (a not unusual thing). No, we ended up with a good
thing.

Actually, this is about the Hell's Kitchen garden merger that I've talked
about in the past, where we're going to be able to build 84 low income units
for seniors on the site of one garden,  expand another garden by expanding
the auxiliary space of a building being renovated for low income housing,
and, in a few years, tear down a one story garage to create a permanent
community shade garden a block away.

The Oasis Gardeners hung tough but were also savvy enough to sit down to
negotiate with their neighbors, especially when many of them wanted the
garden gone.  The stubbornness of Nancy Kyriacou, gardener and housing
advocate, is legendary in Hell's Kitchen. If there's a picture on "hanging
tough" in the dictionary, it's of Nancy with the Oasis Gardeners. They knew
when to hold and they knew when to fold. We wouldn't have more housing and
community gardens in Hell's Kitchen without their determination and good
will.

The political land use deal that the Hell's Kitchen community has worked out
is unique: we get affordable housing for low income seniors and two
renovated, permanent community gardens -- no net loss of gardening space.
I've toured with a few of you in the area - Anna Wasecha, Corrie Zoll, Tom
Kerr, Pratt Remmell and Diane Dodge immediately come to mind --  trying to
explain how we managed to do this in the shadow of midtown skyscrapers.

The best explanation I can give is that Hell's Kitchen gardeners looked
outside of our garden gates, worked to make coalitions with neighborhood
groups, served on the community board, worked to elect our city
councilperson,  State Senator and Assemblyman and drank an awful lot of bad
coffee at neighborhood planning and Community Board 4 meetings, hammering out
a compromise.

Manhattan Community Board 4 has been instrumental in bringing the groups
together in the Clinton Renewal Area.  A special mention has to be made
acknowledging former CB4 Board (and Clinton Land Use and Zoning, "CLUZ")
Chair Katherine Gray for her work on the board and as an Oasis gardener to
make this become a reality.  The continued work of CB 4 Chair Simone Sindin
on both the full board and CLUZ furthered the process. Current CLUZ Chair
Anna Levin has continued the process -- it's a small world, Anna is an old
friend of ACGA founder Tessa Huxley.

I am proud to say the Clinton Community Garden and the Manhattan Botanical
Garden were part of this solution which predates the NY State Attorney
General's Community Garden settlement. We threw our two gardener -- community
board members, the example of our work at the CCG, Pier 84 and DeWitt Clinton
Park, organizing. technical assistance, postage and advocacy into the pot.

Edie Stone and Edie Kane of NYC Greenthumb have done remarkable work on this
project -- some of it advisory and technical, much of it
talking to gardeners who weren't talking to each other and nudging them
forward. It is amazing how much good work gets done by this underfunded and
embattled city agency.

I cannot say enough about Sister Elizabeth Hasselt of the Encore Center,
which has been serving low income seniors in the Times Square area and Hell's
Kitchen for over 25 years. She has been a tough, fair and honest negotiating
partner. She started by advocating for her seniors and ended up an advocate
for affordable housing and community gardens.  By working with the community
and negotiating in good faith with community gardeners, our neighborhood will
now have both housing for low income seniors and community gardens, a
win-win.

I have attached an invitation for a rather  unique event: a farewell party
this coming Saturday,  for a community garden which is going to be bulldozed,
at which the gardeners, the not-for-profit developer, community board
members, representatives from NYC gardening groups and community gardens will
be present and toasting each other through a few tears and many smiles.

Here is the text from the invitation that was printed and mailed to
interested members of the community by Sr. Elizabeth Hasselt of the Encore
Center and the Oasis I Gardeners:

"JOIN US TO SAY FAREWELL TO OASIS GARDEN AS WE MAKE WAY FOR THE NEW ENCORE
WEST RESIDENCE FOR LOW INCOME SENIORS