These folks are certainly into some wild stuff.  It would be great if they
could listen to their own hype a little more and really focus on improving
human health.  Right now it looks more like they are using specialized
genetically engineered plants to extract money from government agencies.
Their project here in Hartford a few years back allowed a college professor
and her students to experiment with lead-extracting plants on a community
garden site, but the last time I talked with them they had realized that
building their business called for total control of the process by them, and
also on focusing their attention on folks like the Defense Department and
such who have gobs of money.
Perhaps we should start some "people's research" on this stuff.  The process
doesn't have to be perfect or profitable.  It just has to work.  We know
which plants work, and some of them are readily available (sunflowers, some
grasses, some brassicas).  We don't know what the material is that they put
on the soil to enhance the uptake of lead, but I bet some chemists could
come up with some likely ones.  It might just involve altering the pH.  Any
takers?

Jack N. Hale
Executive Director
Knox Parks Foundation