Hello all,
Here is one success story for a new Toledo garden, which is a success story for
all.  One of the volunteer garden leaders here (Ida), has a daughter with 3
children who is a homeschool mom (Roschelle).  Roschelle had been attending the
monthly garden meetings we offer for about a year with Ida, and really wanted
to start a garden herself, but was unsure who to involve, and how to pull it
all together.  She then decided to tap the homeschool community that she was a
part of, and very easily recruited 7 families to start a garden.  It took us
almost a year to get a signed agreement with the land owners where the group
wanted to put their garden....the Fraternal Order of Police grounds....as they
had quite a beaurocracy to deal with, and apathy when it comes to gardening.

Finally, we broke ground last spring, and rototilled their overly ambitious 90
X 100 foot garden.  Between the 12 children involved, there were 20 individual
(5 X 5) plots for the kids, and then there were community areas--tomatoes,
viney stuff, etc.  After about 1/3 of the (dry) summer was over, we got a
hydrant meter (city waived the $300 deposit), and we gave some donated hose to
the garden, which meant that they no longer had to "carry" water.  After having
so much trouble with "the police", one of the FOPs staked out a corner and
gardened it himself.  The group wanted a picnic table where they could do
table-work and have snacks/lunch.  I put the word out and a table was donated
by one of our community garden committee members.

Things went wonderful--planning and planting--and then the weeds invaded the
community areas (!)....but worse...near tragedy struck.  Roschelle's husband
(Byron), had a stroke--3 strokes in fact, and was hospitalized for about a
month.  Other gardeners took over the leadership role, as Roschelle was unable
to play a major role in the garden for a while.  The gardeners created their
own listserve to communicate with each other and our org.  Byron is doing well
and will be recovering at home for about a year.  Below I'm pasting an excerpt
from their listserve.

"It was, like that infamous September 11th of last year, another beautiful day.
We arrived at the garden right before sunset which made our garden appear
really charming. The kids don't see the weeds or the what didn't grow or what
we didn't accomplish. They run to their plots to see what new vegetables,
herbs, or flower they can harvest. And despite everything there is always
something! Despite everything, and we've been through alot in and outside of
that garden, I think the garden is a great success. If you don't think so then
you ought to hear Vincent, Vivian and Bryce telling our friends and family
about all the things they've grown. You should see how proud they are to drop
off some of our bounty to the soup kitchen or Senior's Lunch Program we've
"adopted". And you've gotta listen in on a conversation I heard them telling a
friend about now they can add 'gardener' to the list of the possible future
careers." Tanya Walker, Independence Homeschool Garden, September 11, 2002.

Byron attended our annual Harvest Festival with his family, and spoke a few
words to the attendees after Roschelle received her garden leader award.  He
said that he had never been a gardener before, but after this summer, he was
hooked.  He had taken responsibility for doing most of the watering of the
garden, and told how he began taking pride in the plants as he watched them
grow over the summer.  He even did some weeding...and next year he would like
to be involved in the planting as well.  Pictured are some of the gardeners
posing by the giant sunflower.

We are stardust  .  .  . we are golden  .  .  . and we've got to get ourselves
back to the garden.

Shelly Collins
Toledo GROWs Manager
Toledo Botanical Garden
5403 Elmer Drive
Toledo, Ohio  43615
419-936-2990
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Enriching you life through gardens, the arts and nature"
www.toledogarden.org

<<homeschool & sunflower.jpg>>