Good questions, Scott!
If there is No birthdate, the person is assumed to be Living
If there is No death date, the person is assumed to be deceased if over age
90.
I, personally, would NOT recommend 'placeholder dates'; however, my
software allows me to mark a person as either living or dead without using
any dates.

So, are you going to participate by adding your Tree?

Regards
Jim

Jim McKane
CoTyroneIreland.com