On Sat, 7 Jun 2003, Sam Varshavchik wrote:

> > So the questions are:
> > A) Who truly is to blame here? SBC's server for one, but which other
> > program is viloating RFCs?
>
> SBC is generating a garbage DSN.  Outlook is broken because it chokes on it,
> and can't recover.
>

> > B) What can we do about it? Obviously this kind of thing is going to
> > continue to happen. It has happened a number of times in the past.
> > Outlook, although garbage, is the most popular email client. SBC is not
> > going away any time soon. Can we either reject these bad messages at an
> > SMTP level or fix them?
>
> ... and then people who just absolutely have a desire to receive broken mail
> from these servers, but use a mail client that can handle them, will
> complain about bouncing them.

So what about fixing the message up, or putting them in a wrapper like
courier does with bsd mime messages?

Does courier allready parse the message into headers and body at some
point?

We know it is not courier's fault, but I do not know a single admin that
wants to be called every time SBC bounces an email just to delete a
message from a user's Maildir. My two year campaign to lure all my clients
away from Outlook has had a 0% success rate. Customers using broken
Outlook as a client is something admins are forced to live with.

Thanks,

--
Joe Laffey              |  Want to convert subnet masks between different
LAFFEY Computer Imaging |  notations, or figure the number of IPs in a block?