On Tuesday 02 September 2003 08:36, Jani Ollikainen wrote:
> And little snipplets from the logfile which seems wrong:
>
> Sep  2 10:02:54 smtp courierd: ABNORMAL TERMINATION BY A SIGNAL
> Sep  2 10:02:54 smtp courierd: Will restart in 60 seconds.
>
> Sep  2 10:03:08 smtp courieresmtpd: /usr/lib/courier/sbin/courieresmtpd:
> Permission denied

Did you change the uid of the courier user before you ran the upgrade by any
chance?  Or did you add a user "courier" before making these rpms?   I once
decided to "standardize" the uid/gid of the courier user on all my servers
and consequently made a HUGE mess when I upgraded because the old set of
files were uid/gid=510 and the upgrade was uid/gid=220 (or some such).

Take a look at the
/usr/lib/courier/libexec/courier/modules/esmtp/courieresmtpd file (which is
what the /usr/lib/courier/sbin/courieresmtpd actually points to).  It should
be owned by 'courier' (or 'daemon' if you didn't create a courier user).  If
it says something like '504' (i.e. a number instead of a name) then your
permissions are messed up.  Either undo the changes you made before you built
the rpms and build them again, or blow the whole thing away and THEN install
the new rpms.

I ended up uninstalling and deleting the old installation (rpm -e ... ; rm -f
/usr/lib/courier /var/spool/courier /etc/courier) then installing the new
rpms.  Then everything was happy again.

Hope that helps.  (Actually I hope you come up with a better solution than my
"blow it away and start again" one.  There probably is one out there. But it
worked. :-)

Jeff Jansen