I have a working install of courier-0.42.2. All my accounts are setup with userdb and work fine.

I am trying to get smtp authorization working, and can't seem to figure out what the problem is.

Log messages are the same from any location or client:

Oct 11 00:52:02 mail courieresmtpd: started,ip=[10.1.100.1]
Oct 11 00:52:02 mail courieresmtpd: error,relay=10.1.100.1,msg="535 Authentication failed.",cmd: AUTH LOGIN bWFqrHRlc7Q=
Oct 11 00:52:58 mail last message repeated 3 times

** emtpd **
AUTHMODULES="authdaemon"
ESMTPAUTH="LOGIN"

** authdaemonrc
authmodulelist="authuserdb"

I don't know if it is something so simple as not knowing how the userid and password should be entered.
I have tried a number of combinations, including

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
user

in the mozilla mail client these get the mail server name tacked on at the end

Thanks in advance for any help