Phillip Hutchings wrote:
> The way the internet works is defined by the RFCs. Imagine if for some
> reason a car manufacturer decided to have the registration/licence
> plate on the roof of the car, not on the back. Sure, it's still there,
> but it's not where it's supposed to be, and instead of arresting you
> the police mounted mirrors on their cars long enough to get a
> reflection of the plate.

That's exactly what I meant.  *Mounting* the license plate on the roof is
bad, but *looking* for the license plate on the roof isn't -- if it's not
significantly more effort.

> So why should a mail server work around something that has been
> specifically forbidden by the standard?

Because obviously a significant number of people misinterprets the RFC.

> The RFC specifies that 'An MX record may only contain a pointer to a
> valid A record'. And that's what it must contain.

I agree, but then, there's that old saying "be strict in what you send,
and liberal in what you accept".  What harm is being done by looking for
license plates on the roofs?

I think there should at least be some BOFH option to disable this kind of
strictness.