Ben Kennedy writes:

Sam Varshavchik wrote at 9:57 am (-0400) on 23 6 2005:

Fortunately or unfortunately, bind is the only battle-tested DNS server in existence.

Given that Dan Bernstein seems to have a reputation of being an anal
prick when it comes to software (or so has been my impression), I am
really surprised that his dnscache is not standard-compliant.

Software is not the same thing as standards.

Qmail's 8BITMIME brokenness has been documented thoroughly. Additionally, there's no valid reason to have Qmail use its own bizarre bounce format, which breaks MIME. RFC 1894 works perfectly well. It looks to me like Bernstein simply does not understand MIME; or does not want to invest the time to implement it properly.