On Thu, 11 Aug 2005, Jeff Silvestris wrote:

Thanks for all the feedback.

Michael, I'm unable to find a source download for courier-authlib-mysql... I've been compiling everything from source.

Joe, from authlib-0.57:
/usr/local/etc/authlib/authmysqlrc
/usr/local/etc/authlib/authmysqlrc.dist
/usr/local/lib/courier-authlib/libauthmysql.0.0.0.so
/usr/local/lib/courier-authlib/libauthmysql.0.so
/usr/local/lib/courier-authlib/libauthmysql.a
/usr/local/lib/courier-authlib/libauthmysql.la
/usr/local/lib/courier-authlib/libauthmysql.so
...all there.

[snip]

Aug 10 22:48:17 otitismedia authdaemond: Installing libauthmysql
Aug 10 22:48:17 otitismedia authdaemond: dlopen(libauthmysql.so, 9): image not found

It sounds like authdaemond cannot find that mysql library. It is probably in some non-standard directory (it is standard for mysql to put it in a non-standard dir ;-) ... standard in this case being e.g. /usr/local/lib or whatever)

I think dlopen respects LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Try setting that in your environment (set to the dir that contains libauthmysql.so). Set that in your environment and then run authdaemond.

If that solves it you can either set that from a script like so (depending on your system etc...)

echo "Starting Courier authdaemond"
if [ -f /usr/lib/courier/libexec/authlib/authdaemond ]; then
        LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/my/path/to/libauthmysql-dir
/usr/lib/courier/libexec/authlib/authdaemond start
        echo 'Sleeping for authdaemon (2sec)'
        sleep 2
fi

Or you can recompile with your compiler flags set to -Wl,--rpath=/my/path/to/libauthmysql-dir

or something similar. The issue with this is that you must determine if courier uses CFLAGS for this (the -Wl tell gcc to pass this option to the linker) or if it ignores that for linking as uses LDFLAGS. Sometimes you have to mess around with it. YOu your can build everything, delete authdaemond, run make again and look at the command it uses to make that binary. Then re-run that command manually with the right flags. It is not a lot of fun, since each app seems to handle the flags slightly differently.

Alternately, you may be able to simply add the path to the mysql lib to something like /etc/ld.so.conf and run ldconfig. This depends on the system. In NetBSD (which I use) ld.so.conf is deprecated I believe. Though, I think it may still work.

This is most likely your problem. But it may be something else entirely ;-)

Good luck.

--
Joe Laffey                |        Visual Effects for Film and Video
LAFFEY Computer Imaging   |        ---------------------------------