On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 10:55:25AM +0100, Pawel Tecza wrote:
> Is your filesystem mounted via NFS?  What's the biggest number
> of files in your user's folder?  Do you know how long he has
> to wait to open that folder, for example in your webmail?
> Did you tried also another journalling filesystems, for example
> Reiser4 or JFS?

We have both aproaches, NFS and direct.
We have tell courier to limit messages to 16M.
We have users which never delete mail (we force the INBOX
to have messages not older than 1 year, 1 day for Trash)
and I have seen like 15,000+ files in some folders for users
who never delete mail.

The speed is directly proportional to the number of files
in the Maildir, specially when IMAP threadsort and the
likes are enabled.  We have IMP v3 and v4 and v4 is 10x
slower than v3 when accessing large maildirs with equivalent
settings, so client matters too.

We tried ext3 and reiserfs and after some benchmarks and
torture testing decided for XFS, 2.5 years ago ext3 have some
problems with heavy concurrency and some kind of superblock
mismatchs after long usage, I must say all those problems
no longer are the case for recent 2.6 kernels.

-otto