On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 02:05:49PM +0000, Mário Gamito wrote:
> What I'm trying to do is to pass a URL from the login server to the
> email server:
> http://mail.foobar.lan/login.php?username=gamito&clearpass=secret
> Fact is, I don't know much about what I should do with this.
> The webmail (IMP) authenticates via IMAP (Courier).
> Ideas ?

Big NONO for passing the cleartext password like that..

Here's one idea:

1. When the user logins to the login server it does SQL
or some other backend to save users login credentials like:

Key                     User    Pass    Timestamp

Where the key can be something like:
sha1sum("SECRET"+"username"+"password"+rand())

2. Save the SHA1 somewhere, to use when user wants email

3. And then patch the IMP to accept param loginhash=<SHA1SUM>.
So you point your user to login.php?loginhash=SHA1SUM
Check the backend that the SHA1SUM is found and isn't expired.
Give IMP the user and pass to go forward..

--
 Jani Ollikainen   http://iki.fi/bestis/