Alessandro Vesely writes:

Sam Varshavchik wrote:

Set up a subdomain zone in one of your domains, and use the script to populate the zone file, then set up Courier to use it as a DNS blacklist.

Fine. (Some suggest sub-subdomains, as backscatter.dnsbl.example.com.)

Q: is it publicly accessible, and mentioned in the site's policy?

No, I don't publicize it.

You'll have to invest some time until your list grows to an effective size. My blacklist runs to a couple of thousand IP addresses, and I barely notice the crap. Of course, you understand that you'll block all mail from the backscatter sources,

Wouldn't it be enough to block empty envelope senders?

Probably, but there's no easy way to do it. Besides, since the only thing I get from those specific IPs is crap, there's not much value added in doing this.

but from my viewpoint it's not something that I need to worry about. When someone complains I tell them that their mail server is broken, why it's broken, and write me back when they fix it. Shift the burden on them to fix their broken mail server.

Your strategy apparently assumes such broken servers are a minority. Is that true? I.e. does your list tend to some stable size or just grows proportionally to spam tides?

It's stabilized to about 1400 IP addresses now. Occasionally, a minor dustup lands a couple of dozen bounces from unlisted IPs into my mailboxes, but I'm not motivated enough to update the list just because of that. Generally, I update it only after a major crapstorm, and that just doesn't happen very often any more, with the existing list in place.