Talking about timely and untimely comments.....

        Check out Newsweek's credulous, confused, and tech-ignorant report
about the (pre-oversight-hearing) moaning and and weeping at Fort Meade.
Consider, with Newsweek, the momentous challenge the NSA confronts in e-mail
and Internet phone calls  (both "almost impossible to intercept," sez
Newsweek); and the agony with which the NSA views the insidious spread of
dangerous European cellular-phone crypto (which I presume means GSM;-)
        ROFL!  If there were a hall of fame for incompetent and misleading
journalism about crypto, this is a contenda!

        Consider one timely one-liner:

>The NSA, for instance, wanted the CIA to do more “black-bag
> jobs” — illegal break-ins — to steal European technology for
>encrypting mobile phones.

        The embarrassment of the full text:
<http://www.msnbc.com/news/342480.asp#BODY>

--------------------

 Adi Shamir <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<snip>

>Real-Time Cryptanalysis of GSM's A5/1 on a PC
>
>Alex Biryukov and Adi Shamir
>Computer Science Department
>The Weizmann Institute
>Rehovot 76100, Israel
>
>Abstract:
>
>A5/1 is the strong version of the encryption algorithm used
>by about 100 million GSM customers in Europe to protect the
>over-the-air privacy of their cellular voice and data
>communication. The best published attacks against it require
>between 2^40 and 2^45 steps. This level of security makes it
>vulnerable to hardware-based attacks by large organizations,
>but not to software-based attacks on multiple targets by hackers.
>
>In this paper we describe a new attack on A5/1, which is based
>on subtle flaws in the tap structure of the registers, their
>noninvertible clocking mechanism, and their frequent resets.
>The attack can find the key in less than a second on a single
>PC with 128 MB RAM and two 73 GB hard disks, by analysing the
>output of the A5/1 algorithm in the first two minutes of the
>conversation. The attack requires a one time parallelizable
>data preparation stage whose complexity can be traded-off
>between 2^37 and 2^48 steps. The attack was verified with
>an actual implementation, except for the preprocessing stage
>which was extensively sampled rather than completely executed.
>
>Remark: The attack is based on the unofficial description
>of the A5/1 algorithm at http://www.scard.org. Discrepancies
>between this description and the real algorithm may affect
>the validity or performance of our attack.

<snip>