IMHO, having a fat library is bad idea because it doesn't seem to work well fur
the last several years. Wasting space is another reason.

IMHO, you're better off recompiling once you get the new ARM-based Mac. Keep
x86_64 stuff on Intel (don't drag it to ARM), and build ARM-only stuff on ARM.

Or keep experimenting with fat libraries and fat binaries - but be prepared to
experience pain.