On Thu, Mar 18, 2021 at 12:24 PM Bart Vandewoestyne
<bart.vandewoest...@gmail.com> wrote:

> OK... and it seems like MASM_RDSEED_GenerateBlock is a function written in
> assembler in rdrand.asm.
>
> Since my assembler knowledge is very limited, I'm lost here.  So it looks
> like the fact that I'm running this using VS2019 causes that assembler code
> to throw an exception or something?
>
> Will try again with VS2015 and see if I have the same problem there...

Throwing an exception is expected if RDRAND or RDSEED is not
available. It is the reason for the try/catch block at
https://github.com/weidai11/cryptopp/blob/master/validat3.cpp#L827.

bool TestRDRAND()
{
    std::cout << "\nTesting RDRAND generator...\n\n";

    bool pass = true;
    member_ptr<RandomNumberGenerator> rng;

    try {rng.reset(new RDRAND);}
    catch (const RDRAND_Err &) {}