> Shouldn't the source code be structured such that the core library source
> files have their own folder? It appears the source code is dumped in with
> test programs, benchmark programs, and other things that I'm not sure what
> they are.

Everything is dumped in the root folder to help various tools. In the
past tools like debuggers and disassemblers had problems finding
object files and debug symbols.

Even today, you sometimes need to add options like
-fdebug-prefix-map=<src>=<dest> for Linux.

Users also have a hard time finding things if things get tucked away
into folders.

To avoid all the problems caused by tools and missing artifacts,
everything gets dumped in the root folder, including object files on
Linux & Unix.

It is a pretty good strategy because it minimizes mailing list questions :)

> Some people want to be able to build the files as part of their project
> rather than using your provided project files. Shouldn't this be easy to do?

Yes.

What problem are you having?

> Also, I tried building the library using cryptdll.vcproj that was inside
> vs2005.zip (using Visual Studio 2019). I got 907 warnings and one error.

Typically you use the *.vcxproj files with Visual Studio 2010 and
above. The *.vcxproj are unpacked in the root directory. Just click on
the Visual Studio solution file.

> Has anyone else successfully built the library using Visual Studio?

Yes. I built the projects several days ago. That was testing with
VS2012, VS2013, VS2015 and VS2017.

I also tested ARM and ARM64 builds using our NMake project file at
https://www.cryptopp.com/wiki/Nmake_(Command_Line).

I did not test the VS2005 project files, however. They are probably
broke at the moment. They don't get much attention nowadays Since
Visual Studio 2010 made its appearance.

You might also be interested in
https://www.cryptopp.com/wiki/MSBuild_(Command_Line).

Jeff