Le 11 août 08 à 13:30, Eric Y. Kow a écrit :

On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 11:53:27 +0200, Gaëtan Lehmann wrote:
If there are contributors working on windows around, I would give the
item "improved windows support" a high priority, and move it to darcs
2.1.

Just my 2 cents :-)

Two very valuable cents, despite the recent drop in the euro.  To be
clear, we are VERY VERY interested in having Windows developers for
darcs. If you are a Windows developer and you want to improve darcs for Windows, we are listening. There are also some issues we need your help
with, any time you can offer it:

 http://bugs.darcs.net/[EMAIL
PROTECTED],id,activity,status,assignedto&@sort=activity&@group=priority&@filter=topic,status&@pagesize=50&@startwith=0&topic=1&status=-1,1,2,3,4,5,6&@dispname=Windows

I hope the "you" was for any reader - I'm not working at all on windows...

Windows and performance were intially the top priority. But I think we
need to focus on just one thing at a time.

Okay, so why performance?  The reason is that what we're /really/
working on in darcs 2.1 is making it easier for people to contribute to
the project.  On the surface, we are actually

* motivating the infrastructure for automatic benchmarking
* creating a focal point with which to sustain developer interest

Also, a lot of the potential darcs hackers (Haskellers) tend not to
use Windows... so we want to focus on things that would be attractive
for them to work on for now.

One other issue is that Windows users seem to suffer the most from
performance issues.  Working on this would be one big way of improving
our Windows support!

Finally, there is the question of world domination at stake.  A lot of
darcs' reputation is tied to the "sounds nice in theory, too slow in
practice" meme, however deserved its propagation may be. The sooner we
start seeing "wow, darcs is actually pretty damned fast" blog posts,
the better :-)

Ok, it does make sense. We can't force anyone to work on such or such point so the more attractive is the best :-)

Gaëtan

--
Gaëtan Lehmann
INRA de Jouy-en-Josas (France)