Sergei Shtylyov <sshtyl...@ru.mvista.com> writes:

>>>    Let us be more clear. What exactly details are needed?
>>>

>> The technical justification for a new mach- + plat- directory.  In
>> particular, justification for why extending current code in existing
>> mach-davinci cannot work.
>>

>   I guess it can. Pigs can fly too, given enough thrust.

Or we could clone the pig, call it an OMAP-P1x, and teach it to fly ;)

>> So far, in terms of core code (stuff that lives under arch/*) I've
>> heard that the primary differences are
>>
>> - new INTC
>> - additional PSC (but same programming model)
>> - new pinmux layout
>>

>   Mostly the PinMux register being protected in fact. The 4-bit per
> pin seems to be taking DM355's layout further.
>   TIMER64+ too, with the compare regs that we have to use.

Both of these seem like logical extensions of existing code.  Not
justification for new code.

>   MUSB driver will need the different DMA driver and different glue
> layer but that's outside the scope of arch/arm/ (DMA driver needs to
> be backed by CPPI 4.1 support though). There's also .
>   There are some additional devices like OHCI, RTC (seems tobe
> OMAP-alike IIUC)... video stuff is totally missing but that hasn't
> appear in upstream still IIUC.
>   SPI controller is extended compared to DaVinci one. MMC works a bit
> differently, so the driver will need additional platform data and EDMA
> related changes (even for PIO mode).

None of these live under arch/arm/* so are irrelevant to the decision
of whether or not to create a new mach- dir.

>> To me these are hardly justification for a new mach directory.  I see
>> relatively simple solutions for these in the current framework.
>>

>   I don't see an acceptable solution to the cp_intc issue -- unless
> you want to live with #ifdef'ery... autodetection is certainly *not*
> an option.

I see autodetection as an option for debug and development kernels.

I have no problems with a slight performance hit for the auto-detect
option when building multi-device kernels (yes, I know it is for
*every* interrupt.)  For single device kernels it can be #ifdef'd away
as I suggested earlier.

Kevin