Hello.

Kevin Hilman wrote:

Sergei Shtylyov <sshtyl...@ru.mvista.com> writes:

[snip]

There is one thing I found difficult to share between OMAP-L1x and
DaVinci variants.  That is the RAM is map to different physical address.

For DaVinci Makefile.boot we have
   zreladdr-y   := 0x80008000
params_phys-y   := 0x80000100
initrd_phys-y   := 0x80800000

For OMAP-L1X Makefile.boot we have
   zreladdr-y   := 0xC0008000
params_phys-y   := 0xC0000100
initrd_phys-y   := 0xC0800000

Is there a clean way to consolidate the two?
These makefile variables only affect the creation of the [zu]Image
files, not the kernel image itself, which is linked at its virtual
address.  My primary concern is the ability to have a single kernel
image, a single [zu]Image is nice but not mandatory.
  If you want to have MUSB support in kernel you can forget your dream
of "single kernel image". :-)

That's quite a pursuasive argument.

My primary concern with a single kernel image is for the DaVinci core
code.  Drivers can be handled easily with platform_data + kernel
modules, and if they are needed early in boot, with initramfs.

In the case of MUSB, the driver already has a way to use different DMA
engines.

  Not simlutaneously!

  From there, it's not too difficult to teach have it select
the DMA engine at runtime instead of compile time (maybe it already
does this.)

I don't support the idea of burdening the kernel with (quite weighty) DMA drivers that don't apply to the actual hardware (the same can be said about the mutually exclusive AINTC/cp_intc interrupt controller code but it at least is quite small). Besides, the OMAP-L1x glue layer is different too due to different PHY control and CPPI 3.1 interrupt handoff scheme (I plan to change how MUSB CPPI 3.0 interrupts are handled, mainly because DM6467 has the dedicated CPPI interrupt). There won't be any efforts in that direction from my side. Let this be done by whoever might finds that useful -- I don't.

Kevin
WBR, Sergei