This questions comes up a couple of times a year on the ABB list.  Here's a
summary from the most recent run through:

One of the long-time road crew members of ABB has said that he was told (by
Dickey) that their version did come from Alligator.  This is perhaps the
standard version of the story.  There is an enhanced version that has the
ABB band members at the GD Piedmont Park show where Alligator was played (I
don't recall if setlists are shown for that performance).  Although Duane
and Gregg were listening to the early Dead albums and so might have picked
this up from their, they did not incorporate any other dead material so the
link might be incomplete... and if you listen to the recordings of the
Allman Joys you will hear them doing covers of Yardbirds and
others--including Old Man River from Jeff Beck's Truth album--along with
Morning Dew also from the Truth album (not similar to the Dead cover).  The
Second Coming (the Betts-Trucks band) Likewise did covers of other groups
(including Airplane) but not of the Dead.  I've always placed the Allman
Brothers/Hour Glass in Los Angeles (Gregg was apartment mate of Jackson
Browne) and the connection to SF bands seems less clear.

In 1998 ABB invited a group of fans to travel along for eight shows (we had
our own bus) and I have on tape a discussion with Jaimoe from about 3 AM on
one of the travel nights on the bus.  HIs description of Mountain Jam is as
follows:  They were sitting around (apparently with acoustic guitars) and
Dunae played the melody riff from Mountain Jam.  Dickey began playing, and
then played the melody of Hot Cross Buns -- with is the opposite or reverse
notes of the Donovan melody.  Jam on the two of these melodies and you have
Mountain Jam.  Jaimoe was, I believe, somewhat dismissive of the idea that
this came from Alligator, and having grown up in the south, I can second the
idea that Donovan's Mountain was ubiquitous on the airwaves during the year
that the album was released.  And the Sunshine Superman album was something
of an anthem as well (yellow sunshine...) especially after fly Jefferson
Airplane in Fat Angel.

I grew up in Nashville and while several years younger than the ABB members
(we saw them a bunch of times in 70-71 while freshmen-sophomores in college)
I was interested to find out that they were listening to many of the things
that we had been listening to--teenagers playing in bands and hoping to get
out of the south--and that was yardbirds (and beck, and clapton, and then
page) and ten years after.   I always made the connection to Donovan;
because few of my firends--including everyone who played in bands--listened
to the Dead (they were rarely touring in the south in 69-71) I never did
make the connection to Alligator as origins for Mountain Jam.

RH