I played the amazing jam from 9/19/70 on the GD Hour recently, and got this
email from Don Schneier:

 I was there, in the front row that night, and if my memory serves me well,
 Pen was not initially out there for the send-off.  First Phil came out
 alone, and then, when his mild-mannered apologies were not moving the
 crowd, Pen, the scary-looking Hell's Angel, came stomping out onto the
 stage and threw down his challenge.  A lot fewer in the audience were going
 to defy that!

--

David Gans - [EMAIL PROTECTED] or [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Truth and Fun, Inc., 484 Lake Park Ave. #102, Oakland CA 94610-2730