Hello, gentlemen.  I've been researching the Monterey Pop Festival for almost 10 years now, trying to compile setlists and recordings of all the performers.  If you look on setlist.com, you'll see a page dedicated to Monterey and all the setlists I've gathered thus far.  The mystery of the Grateful Dead setlist for this show has been discussed for years, mainly with regards to Alligator->Caution and whether Bill Graham handled their outro.  I believe I have solved this mystery.

I've confirmed that Bill Graham was most definitely handling outro's that evening.  The band that played immediately before the Dead was The Who.  At the conclusion of My Generation, their last tune, you can hear Bill say, "let's hear it just one more time for The Who".  He was also behind the stage that evening speaking with various performers as documented in "Monterey Pop" by Joel Selvin.

I can also confirm that Alligator->Caution was part of their set that evening.  Apart from the outro by Bill Graham, the greatest evidence lies in the sound of the recordings of the Festival.  It's tough to describe in words, however, if you listen to the recordings of all the performers, there's no doubt.  The recordings of the applause after each performer have a very unique cadence (for lack of a better term) that is evident throughout each performance over the three days.  This holds true at the end of "Caution" during which Bill Graham's outro states "let's do it just one more time, let's hear it again...the Grateful Dead".

In regards to Alligator being a very primordial version without vocals, the issue was actually an equipment malfunction.  This was an ongoing problem with many of the performances throughout the Festival.  Jerry and Bobby's backup vocals are evident, but Pigpen's microphone is initially not functioning.  A few minutes into Caution, the issue is resolved and Pigpen can be heard.

I can point out other unique similarities to confirm my theory, but the ones I've outlined above are the strongest.  Hope this puts to rest once and for all the mystery surrounding their performance.  If you have any questions, or comments, I appreciate all feedback.  Thanks for your time and keep up the great work.

Best regards,
Endre Pady