When these Matrix 1968 shows circulated on cassette, ther were tons of mislabeled tapes out there. Often times sides a and b would be reversed and there were a lot of compilations containing bits and pieces of several of these all mixed up and mislabled too.

The tapes you mentioned in you email look like more of those old mislabeled compilations. I had many of them myself. At one point I spent a lot of time going thru them and figuring out what was duplication of what. Funniest one was the tape labeled as a Matrix 68 tape that was really 2/13/70! (you know the electric set with Dark Star)

The low gen (probably 1st gen) reel to reel tapes that all our copies seem to trace back to were transfered to cdr a while back. Those reels are owned by Bill Gadsden. Bill and a guy named Peter Kafer made copies of Peter Abram's (owner of the Matrix) two track 7" Scotch reels in the summer of 1974. Peter Abram's reels were either Masters or 1st gens, so the reels that all our old tapes and now cds originate from are either 1st or possibly 2nd gen.

Rather than transfereing your old cassettes, you might want to just grab the better copies available on Archive.org Here are the links to the three October 1968 Matrix shows that people call the "Mickey and the Hartbeats" shows:

http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=15524

http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=15549

http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=15520

There is also this one which is from December 1968 at Archive.org which traces back to that also traces back to Bill G.'s reels:

http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=15551

Those shows can have some very boring moments as well as some pretty interesting parts to them.

Hope this info helps,

Dave S.

Daryn Roven wrote:

I've just spent some time on Deadlists and I can't find this show; I'm wondering if it's one of the non-circulated October 68 "Mickey & the Heartbeats" Matrix shows. Two cassettes:

1a
Dark Star ->
Death Letter Blues
Fate Music (Jerry calls it this as they start)

1b
The Eleven ->
Death Don't Have No Mercy ->
Lovelight ->
Dark Star ->
Cosmic Charlie ->

2a
Cosmic Charlie
Lovelight ->
Drums ->
Jam (Other One tease) ->

2b
Death Don't Have No Mercy
Dark Star Jam
It's A Sin

Portions of cassette 2 look similar to a 10/9/68 setlist I've seen, but there are a lot of unexplained things as well. I especially have seen no mention of Cosmic Charlie in conjunction with any Heartbeats shows.

Thanks for the list maintenance, and for your time. I'm in the process of transferring these old cassettes to disk.

Daryn R.