One more correction -

Deadlists currently says, "This tape was mastered on a Uher
reel-to-reel machine by sociology professor Charles Lemert."
This isn't so.  A Wesleyan librarian writes, "I did contact the
Sociology professor, Charles Lemert, who supposedly owned the Uher
recorder used, and was quoted as saying it was more of a sociological
experiment. He says he has heard this rumor before and is completely
baffled by it: he had nothing to do with the recording, didn't come to
Wesleyan until 1982, and wasn't even much of a Deadhead, although for
a while he taught a class at Wesleyan on the Sixties."

The story seems to have originated through a misreading.  Peter
Braverman, the person who circulated the complete "first-generation"
cassettes of this show, stated, "The recording deck was an old
reel-to-reel Uher machine owned by sociology professor Charles Lemert
(correct name and spelling), who lent it to me, along with the
original reels, when I asked... It was conceived, according to Lemert,
as a sociological document, not a concert recording." (He wrote this
message on the deadlists discussion board back in 2002 about "the real
story" behind the tapes.)

There's a catch: he copied from the master reels back in 1985, so
that's when he would have borrowed the deck & reels from
Lemert. (Braverman was then a junior, so he certainly wasn't around
the college in 1970!)

That didn't mean that Lemert was actually involved with the taping, as
everyone assumed - just that, if this story's right, the sociology
department still had an old tapedeck & the original reels 15 years
later. (Which would indirectly confirm that the taping was done for a
sociology class.)

The text notes for this show state, "According to notes written on the
first gen reels, the three original master reels were recorded by a
Wesleyan student named Warren White as part of an assignment for a
Professor Schenk (we think that's how its spelled. The handwriting on
the reel cases is difficult to read)."   The librarian reports, "From
looking through Wesleyan directories at the time, there was a student
named Warren White (class of 1971), but I find no professor named
Schenk in Sociology or any other department."

So in short, this show was taped by Warren White for an unknown
sociology professor.

There's a little bit of non-specific info in the tape itself - after
the first NRPS song, someone asks the taper, "What are you taping this
for?" and he replies, "This is a survey for a local faculty...we're
gonna record and categorize...get you down on paper in a file
system..." Someone says, "You're gonna get your tape recorder
smashed!" and he replies, "It's not mine, go beat up the professor."