Hello all,
I hope you are all well. This is not strictly a deal.II question, but I
thought I could benefit for the huge amount of expertise present on this
board.
I am currently launching large (at least from my POV) tasks on our HPC
cluster. The task generally contain  on the order of 50M to 100M DOFs and
are transient DNS problems.

Right now we are solving the Navier-Stokes equations in a GLS formulation.
For steady-state problems,  it is reasonably pertinent to use expensive
preconditioners (like AMG with ILU-smoother/coarsener or straight  ILU(1)
or ILU(2)) because we do not do a large number of iterations. However, in
the present case we wish to use a very small time-step (even though we are
using a high-order L-Stable SDIRK33 time integration).

In this case, even using ILU(1) is extremely expensive (e.g. it takes 2X
more time than to assemble the matrix and it really doubles up the
iteration time). Consequently, we are using ILU(0), which in the present
case is performing relatively well (say between 40-100 iterations per
newton step). I was wondering if there were any other suggestions in terms
of preconditioner that we could use?

Our system : GLS stabilized Navier-Stokes, monolithic matrix formulation
(single matrix for u,v,w,p). The matrix is non-symmetric.
Our solver : Either GMRES or BiCGStab. In our case it seems GMRES is a bit
faster (around 20%) because the iterations are cheaper. I have tried all of
the solvers in the TrilinosWrappers except FGMRES actually.
Our current preconditioner : ILU(0)
Library used : Trilinos through the deal.II wrappers
Element order : Q2-Q2, Q3-Q3 or Q4-Q4.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am doing all I can right now to
speed-up matrix assembly, but in general we only need to assemble the
matrix every 3-5 time steps, so I am just trying to find a good compromise
between a good preconditioner that is not crazy expensive. Would I be
better to accept having a poorer jacobian matrix, use a more expensive
preconditioner and keeping it for a longer time (say 10-20 time-steps)?