Hi there,

We want to construct a 3D triangulation by extruding a 2D triangulation
(one that potentially contains hanging nodes) and we only want one
slice/layer of mesh on the extrusion direction.

Looking around in the GridGenerator namespace led me to the
extrude_triangulation function. It’s doing everything we desire except for
that (a) the slices/layers on the extrusion direction has to be at least
two and (b) the 2D mesh must be a coarse mesh. I’m wondering if there are
tips on getting around these two restrictions.

Originally I was using GridGenerator::hyper_rectangle teamed with
anisotropic refinement cut_xy. But this ceases to work after the code was
re-implemented with parallel::distributed::Triangulation because “this
class does not support anisotropic refinement, because it relies on the
p4est library that does not support this” [1].

Thanks a lot in advance for any insights and suggestions!

Best,
Greg