The Helsinki University Debating Society has its first debate of the year this evening: "This Society Would Give Iran Nuclear Weapons" at 18.00 in Mannerheimsali in the New-Student House. Please come along and see how debating works as we have a typically controversial and fun argument, with two sides in absolute opposition to each other.

We'll have the society's best debaters from last year taking part, and then we will open the floor to any new speakers who want to have their say at the end. So basically if you just want to see how debating works, then come and watch, and if you want to join in, then feel free!

Debating is a lot of fun, and will give you skills that will help you in every walk of life - public speaking, critical thinking, quick humour, convincing arguments, strategy and teamwork. A background in debating looks great to employers, and will especially aid any career in the media, law or politics. And we as a society have a lot of fun - not just with the light-hearted feel of the debates but in the bar afterwards and at our social events. We will also be travelling across Europe to tournaments this Autumn - open to all society members, and we will host some competitions of our own too. So please take a look at our website and see if you'd like to join in!

For any details or questions email me: [EMAIL PROTECTED] or see www.helsinkidebating.org

Rich

Richard Penny
Helsinki University Debating Society